OMG I am in Love...in other words...new medical toy.

>> Friday, September 2, 2011

Mom and Dad needed some supplies. Isn't that ALWAYS how it starts?

So I took them to Walgreen's, which I normally avoid unless I need a specialty item and they needed some specialty items.

While they were looking, I browsed. Cuz, why not? And my attention was pulled to this:

The ChoiceMMed Pulse Oximeter.

This is a very big deal in our house, heck it most households that have children, or adults that have oxygenation problems. In our case, Bug isn't that fragile but occasionally the bad seizures creep in and it's good to know what his Oxygen Saturation level is during and after. Gotta make sure the little monkey boy rebounds.

There were two models, but this one had all we needed and I gladly plucked down the 49.99 and walked out the door with it. The decision factor? This one is yellow. Bug likes yellow.

He had a decent day yesterday, once I gave him some cherries, so I had no need of it.

UNTIL....


This morning. I awoke to a thud and quickly looked up to see Bug was not in bed. Tay was there...but no little man. So, my cat-like reflexes, and 6.5 month pregnant belly, kicked in and I sprinted up the stairs. He was laying on the landing. Peacefully. Odd. So I picked him up (easier said than done), and brought him downstairs to lay with me.

It was 6:47am and his hands and feet were cold so I warmed him up. Just as we were both going back to sleep, he had a sudden Myoclonic jerk. Damn.

And another at 7:30. I gave him his meds at 7:55 and he had another while I was distributing them. Double damn. Bug and I took Tay to school and were back home at 8:20. I placed him on the couch and broke out the Pulse Ox.

Out of the box it had even more appeal. Yellow and small -ish. I installed the batteries and turned it on. It has a lovely LED. I grabbed the Bugster stubby finger and put it on. Didn't register. So I moved it to his middle finger and instantly got a reading. Wee Hoo! Oxygen was 94 and pulse was 124. A little high on the heart rate but he IS having a Myoclonic morning so I should expect something like that. Shouldn't I?

The best part is...he tolerated it. It didn't take long, so he didn't pull and tug at it. I have checked him 4 times since then. Each time, reading was up in 3 seconds. The last one looked like this:


Again, heart rate is elevated, and that is good to know but why is it so high? I will be able to keep a closer eye on him and that peace of mind is worth way more than 50 bucks. Anyone that has a O2 issue, or suspects they do, this is the device for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What a Seizure looks like (Graphic Content Included)

Loading...

Seizure Tracker.com

Seizure Tracker.com
Free online tools to provide people living with epilepsy and their doctors with a better understanding of the relationship between seizure activity and anti-epileptic medication dosages. Reports generated on SeizureTracker.com include detail graphing capabilities and are easily sharable with caregivers.

Diamond Potential Awareness Award

Diamond Potential Awareness Award
Thank you Holly at Diamond Potential for this award. Awareness leads to understanding and acceptance. And let's face it, we all need to feel accepted for who we are. The battle has just begun!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP