The great eye exam

>> Thursday, March 25, 2010

Went off without a hitch.

Bug was in a fine mood, I was in a fine mood, Glenn was in a fine mood but most importantly, Dr. Hoffman was in a fine mood. I liked him immediately.

So I liked him, and Glenn liked him, Bug ignored him.

We started out a little late because we went to the wrong place. It happens. When we got to the Same Day Surgery Unit (using the most difficult directions EVER), I realized that we parked at the furthest point from where we needed to be. Oh well.

Bug was tired. We had kept him up so he would be tired and less combative. He's never been that bad, just a handful, and making him tired helps manage that handful.

After the weigh in at 50lbs (is he losing weight or is it THAT inconsistent?) we went into the room and they took vitals and gave him eye drops to dilate his pupils. He hated it. He fought it. But, the nurses are better than he is and pretty soon he started looking annoyed by light and his pupils were huge.

We moved him into pre-op and that's when Dr. Hoffman entered. He was kind and supportive and put us promptly at ease. We didn't expect that this test would tell us anything, heck, we were sure it would be perfectly normal, like almost every test so far, but a new symptom HAS to be examined closely. And Dr. Hoffman assured us he would look VERY closely. I had no doubt he would.

They took him from me and we watched him go. It's always sad. And I vowed I wouldn't cry and I didn't mostly. We decided to get some breakfast. By the time we paid and sat down we were able to eat a few bites before we were called back to Same Day. That was fast and the SECOND time we didn't get to eat the breakfast we had bought.

Once back, we were greeted by Dr. Hoffman who took us into a consultation room and told us Bug is slightly far-sighted. That was the big finding. Everything else was perfect. Shock? No. Disappoinment? Not really. Relief? Jury's out.

Dr. Hoffman was very gracious and understanding, he took his time explaining things and we left feeling like I had been a biatch for good reason. Glenn told me that if it got that quality of Doctor, I should feel free to be a biatch more. Not in so many words of course, he is more eloquent than I am.

On the way home, he had a seizure. It sucked. A lot. It sucked a lot. But he recovered quickly and we bought him some Grinders for being such a good boy. I shaded his eyes with my sweater because the sunglasses they gave us for him where more an annoyance for me than a help for him (he took them off and I sat on them when I went in back during his seizure).

Although we have no more answers now than before, we know what it is NOT and that is one step closer to finding Bug.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What a Seizure looks like (Graphic Content Included)

Loading...

Seizure Tracker.com

Seizure Tracker.com
Free online tools to provide people living with epilepsy and their doctors with a better understanding of the relationship between seizure activity and anti-epileptic medication dosages. Reports generated on SeizureTracker.com include detail graphing capabilities and are easily sharable with caregivers.

Diamond Potential Awareness Award

Diamond Potential Awareness Award
Thank you Holly at Diamond Potential for this award. Awareness leads to understanding and acceptance. And let's face it, we all need to feel accepted for who we are. The battle has just begun!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP