Dr. Ophthalmology

>> Thursday, March 11, 2010

<< in this picture, can you see the difference in his pupils? Which eye?

The visit? Pfft. Less than impressed.

Bug pays more attention to me than this Doctor did, and Bug has the attention span of a rock. K, that was not exactly true, Bug can spin things for hours. Rocks can't do that.

We got there early because we had to take Glenn to the airport. Wish he had been there but it couldn't be so I went with the little man by myself. I drove directly to the U of U and upon parking and retrieving my little monkey boy, I realized: I forgot his shoes. Sign of things to come. I tried squeezing his toes into Tay's black patent leather Mary Jane's that she left in the car, but his foot was too fat. So I carried him (did I mention he weighs almost 60 pounds, all of it muscle) through the parking structure and into the building. He loved it, I loved it, it was a love-fest.

I went to the Moran Eye Center and it turns out, even though, Dr. Ophthalmology is listed at being AT the Moran Eye Center...he isn't. He is on the third floor at Primary Children's. Luckily it was across the parking lot. Again, gonna have to carry him because of the no shoes thing and oil on the road. Good thing I am built like a linebacker because he is too.


So, I took the little man upstairs to the Cafe because the nice man at the info desk told me the view was breathtaking and the food was spiffy. Who could pass that up? He did not fib. The view was amazing and they had coke in the fountain machine, so hooray! The sandwiches were majorly yummie too...Glenn ate his sausage with jalapeno's really well. But he kept turning around to eyeball the Cheeto's. Ah, Cheeto's!

Once we were done we went to the Doctor, he of which we were REFERRED to see by Dr. Van Orman, almost three weeks ago. It was a little annoying putting my name on a list and then waiting for 15 minutes before we were called up to JUST fill our paperwork. I have never done that before, they usually hand me the paperwork when I sign in. Curious. Luckily they had a playroom for children that was pretty cool. Lot's of things that spin. Kept him busy but not busy enough. RIGHT after I got the paperwork, I began to smell something. Yep, he does not disappoint. Changed his diaper, filled out the rest of the paperwork (also weird since he has been to PCMC a dozen or so times and it is all in the computer) and waited. We didn't wait long.

A nice lady took us back and did the initial exam. She didn't see the Anisocoria at this time. She took his history with it and we waited outside again. Not long afterward we were called back by the same nice lady. As I was carrying him, she said: OH! I just saw it! It's his right eye isn't it?

I turned quickly and said: Yep! Thank heavens! You are the FIRST medical professional to see it! Hooray! I am not insane.

She smiled and took us to the room.

Now, Bug likes to spin things. The most COMMON thing to spin in a Doctor's office is the chair. MOST Doctor's don't mind, heck they even plan for it and buy cheap chairs, and they even admire the speed he builds up. MOST, but not this one. He walked in, Bug had BARELY moved toward the chair and was trying to SIT on it when Dr. Ophthalmology told him he couldn't 'play with that'. So I took him and put him on my lap.

He introduced himself and shook my hand. I thought: I just wiped Bug's nose with that.

He began to talk. I listened and responded. He did the exam...well what passes for an exam when you can't get the child to sit still. He said: I don't see any reason for concern.

Are you kidding? A patient with SEIZURES, suddenly presents with unequal pupils and because YOU don't see it INITIALLY, after trying to chase him with the light, you can make that statement? My first thought: Screw you! I am not making this shit up.

But I listened to him dictate a letter to Dr. V. It consisted of, he present normally, all function of both pupils is normal. I am inclined to not proceed unless directed by Dr. Van Orman to do a more thorough evaluation. And when he was done I said:

Dr. Van Orman already sent a referral over for a full exam under sedation. He asked for it be done while Glenn was having his MRI.

He said: We don't do that.

I said: I guess Dr. Van Orman is not familiar with this type of thing then because he thought you would.

He said: Oh he is, he refers to us all the time. It's that some of the children we see might end up on a ventilator for a long time when they are sedated, and in that case, we do a modified exam while they are under.

Translation: Your kid isn't sick enough, and I don't believe you anyway.

At that he got up to leave. 5 minutes, start to finish, including the dictation of the letter.

I pounced.

I don't run him to the Doctor at the drop of a hat. You see, because he is non-verbal, we are his only voice, his only advocate, he can not come to me and say: Mommy I have a headache, or I can't see well. I have to be VERY attentive and we examine him every day for problems. So when we see something new, something that could be Neurological in nature we bring him in.

He smiled and said: I understand.

The smile said: Whatever you just said, means nothing to me, I am just being polite.

I was pissed.

I saw the nice lady and asked her: You saw it, right?

She blinked, looked at the Doctor and then said: Yes I did.

Good, I responded, a little indignantly.

With that I gathered him up and we left. I was pissed. Pissed enough to say on the way out, loud enough for the people in the waiting room to hear: That was a complete waste of time.

I cried in the car on the way home, vowing I was done with PCMC. The biggest problem is that he LOOKS normal. He is pretty and they see that, they see no tubes, they see no motor impairment, no oxygen machine and they assume it is a minor thing and maybe the parents are over reacting. I have been known to over react at times, but NOT Glenn. If Glenn says he needs to be looked at, Bug goes to a Doctor. And this Anisocoria has us both a little concerned. While I was cursing and building up to a real breakdown because they are ignoring my boy simply because of his appearance, I had a thought:

Fuggem, they are gonna do that test. I have a damn referral. Dr. Eyehole didn't even check.

So I called Dr. Van Orman's office and told Amy that he needed a referral. When she saw that the Neurological Consult was already in place, she said: You are a better person that I am. I would have been ugly.

Made me smile that I had calmed down before I called.

She transferred me back to Ophthalmology (oh whoopee poo poo) and Wes, whom had set up the appointment in the first place, Wes, whom I had TOLD IN CLEAR TERMS, that Bug needed to be sedated to be seen, told me that he had to transfer me to Lauren 585.5817, in case I got dropped, to schedule the sedation. It rang. No answer. I left a nice message, repeating everything twice. And now I wait for her to return my call.

The most important thing was that I swallow my pride and just get Bug seen. I know there is something going on, and we need to find out if it is caused by something we can fix. Yes, I am tired of being put off, but trying to find a new Eyehole when this one CAN do it, would be more trouble. Maybe. We'll see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What a Seizure looks like (Graphic Content Included)

Loading...

Seizure Tracker.com

Seizure Tracker.com
Free online tools to provide people living with epilepsy and their doctors with a better understanding of the relationship between seizure activity and anti-epileptic medication dosages. Reports generated on SeizureTracker.com include detail graphing capabilities and are easily sharable with caregivers.

Diamond Potential Awareness Award

Diamond Potential Awareness Award
Thank you Holly at Diamond Potential for this award. Awareness leads to understanding and acceptance. And let's face it, we all need to feel accepted for who we are. The battle has just begun!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP