A long night

>> Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bug went to bed last night congested, coughing but otherwise fine. At 2am, Glenn and I heard his breathing change. It was shallow and very rapid. He was panting. We checked his temperature, 102.6 and he was shivering uncontrollably. Usually, that's a good indicator that the rapid onset of the fever is only beginning and it is working on getting higher. We gave him some medication and decided to take him to the ER, with the Swine Flu in its second round in Utah, we wanted to be safe.

As we were getting him dressed, he threw up the medication. THAT cemented his need for an ER trip. If we couldn't medicate him to bring the fever down, it could be very bad.

So, we grabbed Tay and headed to Alta View in Sandy. He slept, she slept. Then we arrived and they BOTH woke up with a vengeance.

Bug started to heave again so they rushed him to a room with pink plastic bucket in hand. I walked in with Tay just as he had finished. My first words: Awww, look how pale he is.

Glenn said: He just puked again.

The nurses looked concerned and I reassured them his stomach was fine, he was vomiting because he was gagging on mucus. It happens a lot when he first gets congested. Of course, no one believed me, I'm just the Mom, I only have spent EVERYDAY of his life with him. They gave him some meds to calm his stomach (even though his stomach is FINE) and we proceeded to detail all about his sickness and his Epilepsy.

It is important to know as much as possible about the Epilepsy our child has, we can help the medical personnel define his course of treatment. I have a folder with almost ALL his medical documents in it. It is in our bedroom by our bed in case we have to grab it and run.

The nurse entered all his info into the computer and we waited. We only waited about 5 minutes before the Doctor came in. I liked her immediately. She had a manner about her that projected: I am a part of this and I am in control, tell me how I can help. It may seem odd to sum up a Doctor in such a short amount of time, but, they are people first in my eyes, and their body language, the way they look at a person and how they respond to your concerns shows their humanity. If their humanity is as developed as their Medical Doctorate then they, most often, are great Doctors. I digress.

Doctor came in and told us that they would be running an IV, not just in case he needed fluids but to help cool him off. They would take a few vials of blood, give him some Tylenol and swab for Influenza. OK, cool.

We did tell them he would NOT like the IV and be prepared for a bit of a battle. So she called for back-up. As soon as she called for someone to hold him, Glenn and I both told her: Oh you won't need that, we can hold him, we just wanted you to know not to be shy.

At that, I climbed up on the bed/gurney, sat on his legs and leaned over his chest with my right hand holding his left elbow to keep his arm straight. Glenn held his right arm and chest. Bug looked completely unfazed by this. And she started to look for a vein. And kept looking, looked a while longer and declared: I'll try this one. Did not fill us with happy feelings. In fact, Glenn asked her if she needed to look at the other arm. She ignored him. He asked if she was sure. She ignored him. I looked at him, he looked at me and another nurse told her to use the back of his hand instead.

The first poke made him flinch, but it was the pushing through the vein that made him cry. They put another catheter in above the first one. And he was greatly pissed off at this one but we held him and talked to him and he was really good about it actually. He even smiled once or twice.

They got the IV in, took three vials of blood and gave him the Tylenol...he was throwing up remember? Had to go south for the delivery method on that one.

While we were waiting for the results, I crawled in bed with him and we snuggled. I love snuggling with the child...he puts his arm around me and whenever he looks up, he grins and touches my face. He didn't do that this time though, he pulled my arm around him and fell asleep. It was nice, until my arm fell asleep.

Glenn went out to move the car since we aren't physicians and it was turning light out. At about 5:30 the Doctor came in. No Flu she declared, BUT they were sending his blood out for more tests. His white cell count was down indicating this was viral and his chest X-Ray should no pneumonia. She told me this was her first night since November that she didn't have a pneumonia case. And she thanked us for that. I had to grin. I listened to her, took in everything she said especially the no holds barred give him any drink he wants to keep him hydrated speech. About half way through he started to lock up. I said: Op, seizure. In the time it took her to turn around I was by his side. His face was buried in the pillow and so I gently pushed the pillow away and moved him a little bit, reassuring him it would be over soon and he was OK. As the seizure released it's grip, I notice Glenn was by me now. We both kissed him and held his hand and the Doctor said: Yep, I'll give you that one, that was a seizure. They really never believe until they see it for themselves.

She gave us a Phenergan suppository and cautioned us on its use. It seems it can lower the seizure threshold. Oh goodie. I assured her that we would be hesitant in its usage. She said: I would normally be concerned but I have seen that you know what you are doing when he does have seizures so I will just say we will call you if his blood results are weird.

With that she wished us a good day and good luck with his seizures and left us. I liked her a lot. I don't say that about many Doctors.

They came and removed his IV and we took him home, stopping for a Slurpee at the local 7 Eleven.

Glenn, Tay and I were exhausted. Taylor had refused to sleep while we where in the ER, she insisted on Daddy explaining everything. It was good to see and she was fabulous the whole time. The staff commented on how cute the kids are and wished us the best for Bug. It was, by far, the best ER run I have ever experienced. As soon as we got home we all slept. Glenn and I were concerned that, since the sun was up, we may have sleepless children but that was not the case. They both slept for a few hours.

Bug had one more seizure at 11:00am and after that, we were awake for the day. He was supposed to go to see Dr. Van Orman at Primary Children's but without a real diagnosis and still running a fever, we opted to keep him from the other children (some of which would NOT do as well as Bug did) and I went alone. I had his chart in hand as I walked into the office, tired but ready for some answers...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What a Seizure looks like (Graphic Content Included)

Loading...

Seizure Tracker.com

Seizure Tracker.com
Free online tools to provide people living with epilepsy and their doctors with a better understanding of the relationship between seizure activity and anti-epileptic medication dosages. Reports generated on SeizureTracker.com include detail graphing capabilities and are easily sharable with caregivers.

Diamond Potential Awareness Award

Diamond Potential Awareness Award
Thank you Holly at Diamond Potential for this award. Awareness leads to understanding and acceptance. And let's face it, we all need to feel accepted for who we are. The battle has just begun!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP